anonyrrie: Illustration Friday - Tranquility

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Illustration Friday - Tranquility


sweet dreams...when the border between what's real and what's hoped for is open...


People Hide Their Love

Who says it's by my desire,
This separation, this living so far from you?
My dress still smells of the perfume that you wore;
My hand still holds the letter that you sent.
Round my waist I wear a double sash;
I dream that it binds us both with a same-heart knot.
Did you know that people hide their love
Like a flower that seems too precious to be picked?

– Wu-Ti (translated from the Chinese by Arthur Waley)


When I made this illustration several years ago, I was living some distance away from the man I love. I remember coming across this poem and thinking...wow..that's what it's like; that's how I feel! Both the poem and the original picture were full of yearning.

I took the picture out again today and made some changes. It's not as harsh as it originally was, and the stars seem to twinkle a little more...

tranquility is the sweetness of dreams come true...

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love your moon. It really reminds me of my sister. I hope you show some of your more recent work.

morganbubble.blogspot.com

10:45 PM  
Blogger Shai Coggins said...

welcome to the world of weblogs!

and, i hope you will continue to share your work. they look great!

i'd love to read about your process of creating these images too.

10:55 PM  
Blogger coffee81 said...

so much in-depths about love. wonder will be my turn to have the feelings you had at that moment

2:21 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

You'd really be suprised to see who visits a blog. You can get a hit counter for your blog. Just go into the dashboard area and typein counter in the question area.
Love the lunar illio
Lindsay

8:58 AM  
Blogger paige said...

lovely drawing and sentiment, Carla! I'm thrilled that you've decided to join the blog world and participate in Illustration Friday. Plese keep doing so. I look forward to seeing more and have already enjoyed reading your posts thus far!

3:08 PM  
Blogger carla said...

Thank you all for your encouraging feedback! I really appreciate it.
:>

Carla

8:50 PM  
Blogger Ian T. said...

Ah, I wrote a lot of stuff and it didn't post, but disappeared instead. A lovely image, that has perfect colour and subtle expression. It reflects a different sort of tranquility - patient waiting - along with the more usual sort.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Toyebot said...

Very nice, really like the poem too.

2:33 AM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

People Hide Their Love

Who says it's by my desire,
This separation, this living so far from you?
My dress still smells of the perfume that you wore;
My hand still holds the letter that you sent.
Round my waist I wear a double sash;
I dream that it binds us both with a same-heart knot.
Did you know that people hide their love
Like a flower that seems too precious to be picked?

very touching poem to read

4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home