anonyrrie: Illustration Friday - Aging

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Illustration Friday - Aging


My Old Aunt

Okay, I have to admit that this topic of aging was really hard to do. I thought of doing something about old trees or some vintage something or other, but all I kept coming back to in my mind was the image of my great aunt who passed away several years ago. She was very, very tall, with long arms and legs, and I remember thinking as a child that she was so weird looking - but in a cool way. She was also a very cool person. She never got flustered - ever- and she had a very open and accepting outlook on life and people. Anyway, I then started to think how people pronounce aunt– some say it ahhnt and some say it ant. I fall into the latter category... and, that's how this illustration came to be. I did two, but couldn't decide which I liked best, so I put them together.

10 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

Both are very good! But there is someting that I really like about the bottom one, with the texture and 3-d effect!

11:35 PM  
Blogger Cyberkitty said...

I prefer the bottom as well - the bright floral prints shout elderly.

1:48 AM  
Blogger bee'nme said...

Ok...I like them both...perhaps the first one a little better myself. Cute take on the theme!

4:14 AM  
Blogger Rowantree said...

Nice illo !!

1:18 PM  
Blogger claudette said...

I like 'em both, but prefer the top one. Nice and simple. :)

10:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great drawings!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

Aunt Carla was an old bug, eh? At least she has fashion sense!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Frangipan said...

I prefer the one on the left, the 3D type background on the right one takes the focus off the aunt. But it is a really interesting take on the topic.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Ian T. said...

Oh yes, this is really a portrait - I can imagine what she must've been like! Just watch out for Roald Dahl's "Anteater!"

4:19 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

I like the one on the left best, though they're both great. I love the way you can imagine a person with those angular 'anty' limbs

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home