anonyrrie: Connecting the moments

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Connecting the moments


I'm five. It's early April, a watercolor day with the grass long and yellow from a winter under snow and the sky full of grey-blue clouds scudding along the horizon. I stand on a small rise in the back yard wearing nothing except a few of my mother's silk scarves knotted at my shoulders and waist to make a little tunic. My mother is hanging laundry, sparring with the wind that snaps the sheets from her hands as she tries to fasten them to the line with wooden clothespins. There is just a hint of warmth in the air. Light and playful, the wind asks me to dance, so I raise my arms and twirl into the breeze, the scarves fluttering against my body, lost in the pure sensation of the moment.

Im sixteen, and it's the spring after my January graduation from high school. I've driven to the country instead of going to the college art class I signed up for. I feel guilty about skipping class, and upset that I have been doing this on a regular basis, unable to explain it to myself and afraid to tell my parents why I feel so awkward in a college class. I kick my way through the needles on the pine forest floor, pondering my plight and my uncertain future. Suddenly, I find that I've come out into the open at the top of a sweeping, grassy hill. The sun is shining through intermittent puffy clouds, a hawk glides across the sky, and my heart starts to lighten. I lie down in the grass and close my eyes, feeling the coolness of the earth press its fingers into my back, loosening my tension and calming my anxiety. It happens slowly, almost imperceptibly, but I begin to sense the motion of the planet beneath me, and I am lulled into a state of perfect peace. I've found my "spot," and I know things will be just fine.

More moments through the years....climbing a Vermont mountain on a fall day when the air is sharp and the leaves burn against the acid blue sky....riding with my friends in a red VW beetle along a twisting road on the north side of St. Thomas listening to The Pretenders....holding my son for the first time and having no words to describe the feeling....silently sharing a song across the miles, separate but completely together... the first kiss with my truest love... moments here and there, then and now.

Bliss comes in moments...learning to connect those moments brings the realization of happiness.

The above illustration is acrylic, collage, and marker on paper. It is the piece I did for the February pages of Sylvia's Subconscious Dreamscapes book which is one of eight traveling artbooks for the Journeys project.

17 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

OMG! I can't believe how beautiful your work is!!!!! Warm Fuzzies all around!

10:42 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Thank you for your glimpses backwards which bring back my own. And so happy to see your signature patterning in the tree trunk, too.

11:59 AM  
Blogger modroom said...

Great recent posts, my favourites are this (timeless and real all in one and those leaves! It's like the flowers are twitching and adjusting their cloaks), and 'Go With The Flow' (I'm a sucker for those colours). Those 'moments' are great and it's good to re-live them with all your senses. Everything comes together in a strange way. Really well conveyed, I enjoyed reading this. ..::)

12:43 PM  
Blogger Powpourri said...

Just beautiful! That group looks like a super fun group! Totally awesome! I also see you are in that group with Debbie Weber, I SOOOO adore her artwork, she is one of my total fav's! Oh, lucky you! Really looks like a talented group of artists! Brandi

8:30 PM  
Blogger CRISTOSOVA said...

I can feel the warmth, the breeze, the sprinkles of sun. A perfect place to reconnect! ...accompanied by a beautiful story.

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post and beautiful piece of art!!! I love everything I've seen!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the sweet words!! The cyber community is so warm!! :)

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carla this painting is just beautiful, as are your words.

And oh yes! I am going to make more ATC's.:)

9:24 AM  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

I LOVE this post! It could be me! The "spot" a hill, everyone that knows me knows I used to Live to BE upon "my hill" a hill behind our house where I grew up, a big giagantic rock up there I used to sing my heart out on, the trees up there and the cows, crows and other creatures were my best friends(teen angst)and riding around in a red VW! on our WV windy roads back in the day! oh and all the bike rides! Woooo Hooo! thanks for taking me back there! and your ATC, gorgeous!!!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Lily and Lucy White said...

I love the grass, Carla… Love it. Beautiful narrative. Lily.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I saw the picture first of all...as we all did. And then I got lost in your wonderful words, and then remembered that there was a beautiful painting waiting for me to notice it once again. I felt the earth too as I got lost in the grass. Oh March - may you come in like a lion so that we may lie down with the lambs in the grass when you leave.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

your flower paintings are very lovely!! Great design and intricated details!! Beautiful works!

5:44 PM  
Blogger Monica Lee said...

This is a great post! A wonderful pic too, Original-like you!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Rowantree said...

Nice composition, I like dusty sky and tree details !

8:00 PM  
Blogger Mike Thompson said...

That's a stunner, Carla! Wow!

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carla, your illo is lovely, bright, creative, and fresh, and your words... they recall such moments in my own life, those times when you feel and can say "All's right with the world." I remember my mother reading Robert Browning to me when I was probably about 5-years-old:

"The year's at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearl'd;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in His heaven—
All's right with the world!"

You have captured the essence of those moments with great clarity.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Weichuen You said...

It's weird that whenever I click your journey project page, there is nothing. It's all blank. I am really curious about the project:-).

4:24 AM  
Blogger Christine Lim said...

Georgeous!

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home