anonyrrie: Illustration Friday - Fat

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Illustration Friday - Fat


Think back on your school days...the friends, the foes, the laughter, the tears (and so on...play your Senior Prom theme song in your mind; it'll help get you in the mood). Think about all those kids you made fun of, or the kids who made fun of you. We were pretty quick to put others into categories, weren't we? And...if you've been to a high school reunion or two or three, it's always interesting to see how everyone has turned out.

Below is a return post from last August that I think is fitting for this week's topic. It's written from the point of view of one of those mean girls from high school who hasn't changed a bit, and when you get to the bottom, you'll see how it fits this week's topic.

Renion Tour 2005

Dear Lulu,

Wow...it's been a long time since I've written, but you know how it goes. I've been so swamped...between work and the kids and my book club and my Master Gardener classes (to name just a few things)... well, time just seems to fly by. I hope you and Humphrey and the kids are all doing well. Give them my love and some big hugs and kisses!

So, you're never going to believe the weird things that have happened over the past few months! Justin and I have gone to a few "nostalgia" rock shows...they're so much fun...and at each show I've managed to run into someone you and I knew from good old Waring High School, home of the "Smoothies." I was pretty floored the first time, but it actually happened four times. Too bizarre!


Remember Wren? You know, that skinny vegetarian hippie chick who used to always say, "You're lucky you're organic" every time someone missed the trash can? I saw her last winter at a Tom Jones concert! Okay, before you start laughing, I'm just going to tell you that we only went for the laughs. Really. But you know, he was good! And he had an excellent band. Anyway, I practically sat on her lap trying to get into my seat. Yep...she was sitting in an aisle seat in the same row as us. She's divorced and teaching yoga at a health club, still doing the vegetarian thing, and way into all this crunchy stuff like meditation and aromatherapy. But check this out...she was dressed in this tiny black pleather miniskirt with fishnets and stretch pleather boots, and she was wearing a dog collar! I kid you not. She made a point of telling me that the skirt and boots were vegan, but the dog collar? Do they even make vegan dog collars? So, Tom played all his old favorites like "Never Fall In Love Again" and "Deliah," and when he began "What's New Pussycat," Wren jumped out of her seat and started bumping and grinding her way down to the stage, twirling a pleather thong over her head! I'm assuming it was pleather, because I didn't see her for the rest of the evening to ask. What a scene! Along with the usual women hurling sexy lingerie at Tom, there were grandmas throwing industrial strength bras and girdles, and even some guys throwing their underwear. Whoa! Well, I did exchange numbers with Wren, but I haven't heard from her.


The next concert we went to was Judas Priest. They're back together with Rob Halford for their Angel of Retribution tour, so we just had to see them! You know us...we're into "Breakin' the Law," ha ha... Anyway, we were getting into the parking garage elevator, and this woman who looked like a groupie was running towards us, dragging some guy with a mullet and a beer belly, yelling, "Hold the door! Hold the door!" I was thinking (to myself, of course) "WTF?" until I realized who it was... you guessed it! Roxanne! How many times did we run into her in the girls' bathroom while she was sobbing hysterically about how she was going to break up with Billy and rip the hair out of some girl he talked to in the cafeteria? I always wondered how she could cry like that and smoke cigarettes at the same time... Well, she didn't break up with him - she married him! And they have two sons who are also married, and one of them just had his first baby, a little girl. Guess that's what happens when you get married right out of high school, huh? She's hasn't changed a bit either, unless you count the boob job, the tattoo (butterfly on the right breast...I wonder if she got that before or after the boob job...wouldn't the needle puncture the implant?), and the hair extensions. She's been making goth jewelry and selling it at the tanning salon where she works.


I know you're probably thinking this is pretty outrageous, seeing both Wren and Roxanne within the space of a few months, so you probably won't believe that I also saw Rhonda at a Beach Boys' concert. The Beach Boys' show was really fun! It was held on an outdoor stage on a warm summer night...just the perfect setting. We brought our wine and picnic dinner (there's this awesome gourmet place near us that makes special take-out dinners for the outdoor shows) and were having the nicest time until I heard someone behind us hissing at her husband. She was saying something like, "Just don't make a fool of yourself! It's fine if you want to dance, but don't wave your hands around! I don't want anyone to think you're drinking too much." You know me, I had to check that out! To tell you the truth, I wasn't really that surprised to see good old "Soccer Rhonda." Remember how we used to joke about how well she protected her "goal"? What a priss! And there she was in all her glory: pink polo shirt with a little embroidered frog, madras bermuda shorts with a whale belt, pearls, a perfect french manicure, and that hairdo. Why doesn't her hair ever move? She looked really embarrassed at first, but then introduced us to her husband, Tripper. He's some big executive at an insurance company or something. Funny, but by the end of the evening, he was dozing in his seat while Rhonda was tastefully doing the twist in the aisle. Some things never change, right?


Then last weekend we went to see Eric Burdon and The Animals, which was probably the strangest of all the nostalgia concerts we've been to. The Animals might have been playing, but the audience was more like The Zombies...weird looking creatures who looked like they rose from the dead, raided a thrift shop, and decided to have a night on the town. I really wish I had a camera, because you'd never even be able to imagine some of the outfits. Just to give you an idea...there was this girl (who looked kind of like a man) wearing a leather vest that lit up across the back and blinked the words "Atomic Pam" walking around with another girl who looked like a roly-poly Tonya Harding wearing what appeared to be a pink and white ruffled skating costume. I was having a great time looking at everyone, and then I spotted a short, round woman who was wearing a skin-tight leopard print one-shoulder dress with fringe and clearly without underwear. Yikes! I kept looking at her, because I just couldn't figure out what she had been thinking to wear something like that, and also because she looked very familiar. OMG! It hit me...it was Maude, you know that really shy girl we used to call "Tarzana" because she reminded us of an ape with her long arms and short body? Lulu, I think we damaged her for life! Now she's dressing the part! I'll be honest...I just didn't have the heart to say hello to her. I still feel bad for all the teasing we did. And I'm still waiting for that lightning bolt... Not!

So there you have it. Pretty incredible, isn't it? Have you run into anybody lately? Write to me soon and tell me what's going on in your life.

Love,

Sandy


(micron pen and pencil)

64 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Wong said...

Carla, you did it again! This post is really interesting, together with your illustration of the 4 ladies, it's a wonder how your pencil sketch gives such a great impact! This is what usually happens in reunions....... :)

9:36 AM  
Blogger Amy Zaleski said...

Carla, this is great!!! I love the characters and the letters from Sandy are all funny reads. I guess we're both on a "blast from the past" wavelength right now! :-)

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

**fabulous!**

Always a unique take on the week's topic and your drawings are superb.

:)

10:07 AM  
Blogger Liz Jones said...

This is hilarious!!I'm going to a 20th reunion this summer... wonder what they'll be like!! I suspect some of these characters may be there!!

10:15 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

I enjoyed it again, Carla. 'Course I'd have been at the last concert but not at any of the others! It reminded me of my 10th hs reunion where I happened to be a teacher at the next high school over, happened to run into who was the vp of the student council when I was in Grade 12, who then happened to talk me into making a banner for the reunion, just like a decade earlier. Then at the reunion I managed to corner both the genius who is now a law prof at Oxford and the Playboy Playmate, who lived in HH's Mansion for years. I only spilled wine on the shoes of one of them.

This is turning into my own nostalgia trip... better go...

10:44 AM  
Blogger Tony Sarrecchia said...

Great illos, love the story. Sounds like you have the beginings of play the New York Times would review as "Funny AND Bittersweet". Great job.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Fab drawings Carla or should that be Lulu?

12:13 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

Yikes! I never went to my 10 year reunion and I don't know if I could stomach the 20 year! HS was horrible enough! You've really hit is on the mark though! I love the drawings! They look like 4 girls I went to school with! Ha ha!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Zórdís said...

Tarzana sure is a bite! Funny take on reunions. I have never gone and still look and feel the youngest, I guess!

"Shivers" Great take !

12:45 PM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

haha this is really different from your usual postings Carla! I laughed out loud looking at all these characters! I hate to break this to you but all of these women moved to LA... I see them everywhere!!! This is a wonderful, unique and hilarious post. Love it!

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, oh my gosh that was funny. Great illo Caral, I loved your "ladies" and I use that term loosly!
a.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Sarah .B. Scott said...

This was hilarious. Ack, high school College was so much better. I could never stomach catty girls. Great illos!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Cool.

I was trying to figure out who I was most like....and then decided to give up trying.LOL

Love the Illio's

3:34 PM  
Blogger MD said...

Great, great great drawings!!
I enjoyed reading the letter too!
MD

5:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

awesome, post and drawrings - groovy baby!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Carla,
After being away for nearly two weeks I find your post absolutly awesome and funny. You know I think I see those gals around town here. took a peak at your last couple of posts and the work is wonderful.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Weichuen You said...

Carla, I love your characters. They are so vivid and lovely!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Kim de Young said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun putting this together. I would love to see Lulu's and Sandy's before and after!

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carla, as usual, a very interesting ( and artistic) take on the word proposed. Loved the stories revealed by the letters as much as the drawings.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Katili said...

Great illos and love the way you describe these ladies. They look very unique and self assure all of them. Great work.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

oh carla! i absolutely love this. last year was my 30th reunion and i couldn't go, but no worries! you illustrated it here so well instead! perfect fit for this week's topic. great great drawings.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Powpourri said...

Carla you are just fabulous! Your stories are just wonderful additions to your work! Brandi

11:05 AM  
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

I loved the stories, especialy the last one. It's amazing how we sometimes fall into the molds others have made for us.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Roz Foster said...

I'm with Princess Pepper... I'd love to see what Lulu and Sandy turned out to be! Your drawings are hilarious. These are wonderful characters--and despite the narrators disparaging remarks they all do look perfectly at home with themselves.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Wow!! Wow! Wow! I am speechless. Clever!! Great! Funny! Oh my!!

6:34 PM  
Blogger rebound said...

lovely work...very clever indeed!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Just to funy girl! Good work! :-D

7:46 PM  
Blogger HARDWAX said...

I am still laughing. Wow i remember a couple of old schoolpals very much in tune with these ladies. Your rendering for each personality is terrific, I especially like Wren. Beautiful pen and pencil work and LOL fun!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Unique! you always see these chicks. and everyone knows a caddy sandy. cool drawings!

11:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very humorous!! Fun characters!!

12:05 AM  
Blogger TXArtcGal said...

ROFL!! This is why I never go to my high school reunions...my classmates would be QUITE surprised I turned into the woman I am today! Much more conservative than I'm sure they ever even imagined I could have become (yes, I WAS the class clown, and the nuns made sure everybody knew it!). Anyway...GREAT post, and GREAT laughs! Also...your illos are fantastic! Thanks for the smiles!

12:38 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Ha ha--vegan dog collars! Good stuff. Great original and very fun take on this week's topic.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is wonderful. The characters are interesting and well drawn. The story is just as interesting and well written. They compliment each other well. You truly have talent.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Joy Eliz said...

I love this one! Actually 4 in 1! It's absolutely wonderful!

2:45 PM  
Blogger CRISTOSOVA said...

That was a hilarious read! Such a real voice behind there. Isn´t it amazing that there seem to be the same types of people in almost any class? It´s such an accompanied fun together with the caricature-drawings. Great entry!

2:59 PM  
Blogger vfm4 said...

i read your story & illos yesterday and they were a joy to view and read... very humoristic, i love them! :)

4:19 PM  
Blogger Judy Scott said...

Wow, some people never change, brill post. Judy x

5:07 PM  
Blogger TheTart said...

Hey the gals are back. I loved these!!! So fun. ; )

Happy smooch,
The Tart
; )

BTW, love the digital below. Very nice glowing fish. Love that yellow too!

9:35 PM  
Blogger curiouskitty said...

fun and very nice! :-) i love ur art!

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious, sad and somewhat creepy. Great characters, if only we would all stop judging each other for a moment. But in a way we never do grow up, just grow weirder. Thought provoking, funny, and I loved the drawings, great stuff!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Twisselman said...

Wonderful bunch of characters (and caricatures!).I've missed the last coupla my reunions. I stay in touch with the folks I want to. Still go to my wife's... one coming up this summer. Don't know anyone there, so I've got no problems. Great post.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Natura said...

Ha, ha, this is very fun and interesting how you describe each charaters. Great graphic work :)

11:47 PM  
Blogger Luisa said...

jajaja qué chulas! all those girls are very amused. Really you create precious drawings

4:15 AM  
Blogger Wilnara said...

Very Funny!!!!! -love the characters.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Christine Lim said...

Hahahahahahaha!

9:37 AM  
Blogger fenris said...

great drawings, loads of character and humour there :)

1:24 PM  
Blogger Anette Heiberg said...

I like the idea you had for this weeks topic. You must have worked pretty long with it. It was fun to see and read!

Anette V. Heiberg
www.wynlen.no

3:09 PM  
Blogger Rectite23 said...

I loved reading your blog and looking at the pictures..they are awesome and really made me think of how some people might categorize me....I wonder?

4:58 PM  
Blogger Kay Aker said...

Wow, what a tour de force and fun batch of characters!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Leeza Hernandez Illustrator said...

Amazing post this week Carla. you continue to amazeme along with evreyone else with your originiality and talent. i think the drawings are great, and it does ring true on so many levels. School kids are just the meanest and most spiteful, and some stay that way for life. At least as a kid you have innocence in not knowing better - well mostly.

Wonderful interpretation, beautiful art - thank you for sharing, have a great weekend!

10:53 PM  
Blogger Sunday Afternoons said...

I love your characters—biting but so true.

1:14 AM  
Blogger georg said...

Thanks for your "fairytales" about our youth - did you know me and my friends? Of course not, I live in Denmark, but you have a faboulous talent to describe an draw - great stuff, thanks

12:30 PM  
Blogger Todd DeWolf said...

This was quite entertaining. I have a high school reunion coming up and it should be very intersting. This made me think of the movie Grosse Point blank. Joan Cusak's character stated that at her reunion it was like "everyone had swelled". This was quite fun Carla. Cheers!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Majeak Ann said...

hehe! you are incredible Carla!!...great characters, strong darwings!

-Marjorie

10:04 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Great piece! Love the variety!!

10:33 PM  
Blogger trowbridge chronicles said...

It was so fascinating reading about your concert adventures, Carla. My greatest most recent concert experience was when we went to see Neil Sedaka last year. (Who's Neil Sedaka?)That brought back so many memories of my childhood living on the edge of the rain forest.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Oh dear, I am none of them thank goodness! You missed the aging Police Picnic go-er in there!

3:29 AM  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

Great post Carla. Love the story. What is going on in my life is that today is my last day of work. New life begins Monday. Wish me luck. :-)

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*LOL* THis is soooo coooool!!! So much character, full of humor :D

9:21 AM  
Blogger Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Hahaha! You characterised them! That is such a scream! Hahahaha! It's great! Personal and real!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Ian T. said...

Carla, fantastic pictures and piece of writing! These portraits - to me, in that blurry area between the caricature art of a good cartoonist and the stylisations of a skilled portrait artist - capture so much. I love your whole take on the theme!

Jill's sister went to a 25 year reunion a few years ago specifically to flaunt her awesome older gorgeousness among those who had formerly shunned her... and it worked big time. Now she doesn't need to ever go to another one :).

2:49 AM  
Blogger kathy welsh said...

Great post, Carla! Brings back memories of high school (though they should probably stay buried! ha ha!). Cool caricatures. Fun!!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

this is fantastic! fun caricatures!!!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

These are great! I love how the ladies kind of match the concerts...or the concerts match the ladies. BRAVO!!

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home