anonyrrie: Summer Cold

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Summer Cold


I have a summer cold. It's one of the nicest days we've had in weeks, and all I want to do is sleep. But I absolutely refuse to spend more that a few minutes at a time inside; my days of blissful do-as-I-please time are going by very quickly now. In less than two weeks, I'll be back at work with the stress of daily business nipping at my heels.

I thought a good compromise between running around and sleeping would be to try sketching some things outside...I drew little acorns and bits of leaves and this pot of petunias. They're overflowing and dropping their rotting flowers all over the place, but they still look splendid. I decided to just be brave and use an artist's pen and not worry about getting things "right." Well, the pot's lopsided and there's a lot wrong, but I'm just happy that I did it. I need to think of keeping a sketchbook like I think of keeping a written journal...I have (almost) never ripped a page out of a journal. If I ever wrote something I didn't like...I'd just comment on it in another entry. I need to apply the same method to drawing. Do it, observe it, and then see what I need to work on. Simple.

10 Comments:

Blogger Magpie Magic said...

This is lovely. Like the technique and colours very much. Was that another Photoshop/Illustrator combo?

I use Corel Painter for my illustrations, with a lot of "homemade" brushes.

4:25 PM  
Blogger carla said...

Sybille,

I did this with a very fine pen and then colored it with watercolor pencils. I put a wet brush to the background, and when I scanned it into PhotoShop, I put a crosshatch filter on the background. I didn't like the way I used the brush, so I thought the filter would make it look better. It's a subtle change, but I like it. But...it's basically all pen and pencil.

I am considering buying the CS2 Artist's package which includes Corel Painter 10 along with Illustrator, PhotoShop, etc., etc. I've never used Painter, but I hear it's wonderful. I love what you do with it!

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a darling sketch! so pretty. a perfect way to spend a sick day.

8:02 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Simply lovely, Carla. And I love that the pot is lopsided! It has way more character that way. More lopsided pots please!

8:14 PM  
Blogger WCTs said...

Very nice drawing...makes me feel relaxed. I am enjoying reading your blog. Please visit my site when you have time..you might especially enjoy the kitty pictures. =^..^=

12:30 AM  
Blogger Courtney Pippin-Mathur said...

lovely little pot, i am partial to things that are lopsided myself. ;)

9:38 AM  
Blogger WCTs said...

Carla, send a special hello to Samantha and Jezebel. We love our kitty pics on our Mom's web site. We also love your flower pot...we think it would be a cozy place to snooze! =^_ _^=

Get better and add some kitty pics to your site if you have time..we like to see other kitties and more drawings. Mom linked you on her site...it that ok.

Meow! From Blackie, Tanner and Miss S =^..^=

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this very much. You have a deft hand. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Kathleen Pequignot said...

Charming! Love the sketchy line work.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Valaine said...

I do the same thing, I never rip something I've written out and I always comment on them. Yet on the other hand I never write something that I think I wouldn't want my children to find in the future. I guess I do that with my drawings. I am discovering that its okay for me to make mistakes. The more I draw the more I discover who I am. Its only when I begin the process that things flow, like writing! I admire the imperfect pot ^_^ nothing in life is perfect. This is a nicely drawn detailed piece, I'd be proud of it if it were in my sketchbook ^_^

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home