anonyrrie: And The Tag Goes On...

Thursday, November 03, 2005

And The Tag Goes On...


I have been tagged yet again, this time by Her Serene and Royal Quirkiness, Andrea (aka the Rattily but Wonderfully Gloved One), to list an indefinte number of quirky "things" about myself. The problem is that when one has lived with her quirks for as long as I have, they cease to be quirks and become simply traits and facts. And so, I offer up a few more traits and facts... as they come to me (I'm definitely running out of things to say)... that may or may not seem quirky. You decide.

61. When I was maybe eight or nine, I experienced "Catholic School Stockholm Syndrome," which presented itself as a fleeting interest in becoming a nun.
62. I don't know my cell phone number.
63. I get pedicures year round and always paint my toes a very, very dark red called "Wicked."
64. I went off to college at sixteen. It was quite a shock to be free and on my own at such a tender age. One of the first things I did was get a fat kitten, named her Zeuben, and took her with me everywhere, including to class. She'd ride on my shoulder like a parrot-cat and when she wanted to run in the grass, I'd let her scurry down my arm. Unfortunately, I was busted by the RA (no pets allowed in the dormitories) and had to send her home to M & P, with whom she lived a long and charmed life. I still long to take my animals to work with me.
65. I always rinse my hair in ice cold water, a practice I learned from my grandmother when I was a child. She was a militant blonde who, whenever I spent the night, would wash my hair and then rinse it with cold water and lemon juice so it would stay light. Her reply to my squeals was (but in French), "One must suffer to be beautiful." Each time I turn on that freezing water for the final rinse, I hear her voice in my head reminding me of the price I must pay :>
66. I always have to be on the right side...of the bed, at the theater, on a bench.
67. I am told that my preference for sandals as my default shoe of choice whenever possible is "quirky," particularly in New England.
68. And speaking of shoes, I refuse to wear running shoes with anything but exercise clothes. I also still call them "sneakers."
69. I draw little faces on inanimate objects and then make them speak in tiny voices.
70. When I have all kinds of pressing obligations, I often procrastinate by invloving myself in silly projects. Today, for example, I found out (courtesy of Andrea) how to become a South Park character. Here's South Park Carla & Jol:

16 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

What!? I can't possibly be the first to comment of all your thousands of admirers! I feel so honoured! Your quirks reminded me of a few I forgot! #63: silver is my colour of choice for toenails, #66: it's the left side for me, but most notably #67: I wear sandals from May 1st to Sept. 30th (and more if I can get away with it), every day, no matter what the weather, except for exercise. Looking forward to #s 70-100.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

carla what a lovely list - I'm so glad andrea pushed you to do another list...

#62 me too... #65 did your grandmother also mention that French women wash their breasts daily in cold water - I've always wondered if it was true... #67 I love sandals, and since I discovered the kind with a loop for the big toe I've worn them as my house slippers year round - though with toe socks in cooler months

Its frightening just how many facts one could come up with... thanks for sharing all of your!

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic illustration! I love the line work and the blocks of color.

3:59 PM  
Blogger virginiavalle.blogspot.com said...

Oh Carla your changed your style to spooky :) I love the character design!!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Catnapping said...

i like the crone's shoes...a lot. i want a pair. another beautiful illustration.

i used to paint my toenails...some kind of light brown metallic stuff.

i love going barefoot, so i understand your preference for sandals over hard shoes!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Pusha V said...

Yeah that is it you found the site that I made mine in but I forgot the url. Thanks.
Cool and creepy wizard lady!
I also like the forest background :)

5:58 PM  
Blogger Todd DeWolf said...

If makes you feel any better I don't know my cell nunber either and often I forget my home phone number. It is this wonky collection of numbers that do not fit. Great list Carla!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

beautiful mystherious illo!! Love it!! Nice tag!! :)

3:25 AM  
Blogger JacqueLynn said...

woooo love the face on your witchy woman, totally spooky.

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Carla, I have missed a few illu fri. topics. But i am back now, recovering from a string of soul damaging family events. After reading your tagged... I find you really interesting. Not such a dork at all, unless we are all dorks out there. I am liking your recent drawing style, with so much patterns.. umm.. and thanks for being a "friend".

12:08 PM  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

Lots of nice and funny and strange information. Very interresting! Would you like to be tagged again??? ;o))))))

3:54 PM  
Blogger vfm4 said...

#62 me too! stupid numbers... :)

this i a lovely illo and, as your illo's, it reminds me of the russian illustrator Bilibin..

so does your 'night'illustration..

6:36 PM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

I wish I could have seen you and Zeuben, or had a French-speaking grand mother. I think it is remarkable that you know what people will find random or quirky about you... now that you are so far up in the numbers game.
I was thinking about She Walks In Beauty for this week, too. I didn't learn it as a poem, but as an anthem in H.S. choir...

2:06 AM  
Blogger Tony Sarrecchia said...

Wow, how did I miss this one--creepy. Great work...reminds me of the Blair Witch.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Monica Lee said...

These are so funny and Real! I love them...I am a french manicure girl myself, my indulgence for everyone to see makiing me look high maintanence! ha! The right side of the bed, always?!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Anthony Woodward said...

Loved the link to the south park characters site. How did you save your images though?

2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home