anonyrrie: <i>The Vine</i> - She's Finished!

Friday, July 28, 2006

The Vine - She's Finished!


I acually finished this a while ago, but wasn't able to get a decent photograph. This is pretty close to the right color, but not perfect. I found this project very challenging and at times, very frustrating. I'm still trying to get comfortable with acrylic paint after so many years, so I've been learning and relearning as I go. Now that I've finished this, I think there are some things I'd approach differently when I eventually do (yes) another version. In the meantime, below is the naughty poem from which I derived the painting's name.

The Vine

I dream'd this mortal part of mine
Was Metamorphoz'd to a Vine;
Which crawling one and every way,
Enthrall'd my dainty Lucia.
Me thought, her long small legs & thighs
I with my Tendrils did surprize;
Her Belly, Buttocks, and her Waste
By my soft Nerv'lits were embrac'd:
About her head I writhing hung,
And with rich clusters (hid among
The leaves) her temples I behung:
So that my Lucia seem'd to me
Young Bacchus ravished by his tree.
My curles about her neck did craule,
And armes and hands they did enthrall:
So that she could not freely stir,
(All parts there made one prisoner.)
But when I crept with leaves to hide
Those parts, which maids keep unespy'd,
Such fleeting pleasures there I took,
That with the fancie I awook;
And found (Ah me!) this flesh of mine
More like a Stock then like a Vine.

-Robert Herrick (1591 - 1674)

24 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Naughty indeed. :) It turned out well, Carla. Now I can see a series, allthe same size, of different ladies... I like how the tattoo on her shoulder follows the shape of her chin.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Majeak Ann said...

oh wow-Carla..this is **beautiful**. Love the textures of the background...her exotics flowers..just perfect.

thanks always for being so kind!

hugs
Marjorie

5:12 PM  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

Please send life support. ;-)

6:22 PM  
Blogger TheTart said...

She is so lovely!

Smooch,
The Tart
; )

9:34 PM  
Blogger Shano said...

She turned out GORGEOUS!!

9:56 PM  
Blogger ° said...

WOW!!! i work in acrylic but i know i dont have the patientence to attempt this kinda detail. love the rich textued background and the figure and patterns as well. cant wait for the next version

10:13 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I know you're not entirely happy with the results, but I think it turned out beautifully! Thanks for sharing the poem, too. I smiled throughout. *G*

1:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Carla she is beautiful! I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have done a painting over. Each time i do i learn something. It is a natural process and I don't believe there is an artist out there who hasn't done the same thing. I for one am looking forward to seeing more paintings in a series like this one.

10:20 AM  
Blogger carla said...

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful feedback! It really means a lot to me after spending so muc time on this. Andrea and Toni - I do plan to do a series of women in this size and style, but I am rethinking the background treatment. I am also going to do several smaller paintings along the same lines. Although painting these little details takes a long time, it's the kind of thing I can do in stages because it is so segmented and flat...which will work well once my schedule gets crazy in the fall! Thanks for the encouragement:>

10:31 AM  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

really lovely ending to the painting! oohh la la that poem.. blush.
it is really a great process to have watched carla, thank you for sharing and I can not wait to see what direction you take it in next time!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

Wow - she came out just great! Love the naughty poem. Your work is inspiring!

2:12 PM  
Blogger mbc said...

Beautiful! I love how she turned out. Like others I look forward to see a series. Thanks for your comment on my IF entry. :-)

9:57 AM  
Blogger String said...

I too like how she turned out, was very curious. Lovely colours.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

looks lovely!

7:41 PM  
Blogger The Unknown said...

Wonderful. I used to know a girl with a vine tattoo that wrapped all around her body. This is much prettier though.
love

8:24 PM  
Blogger Ian T. said...

Finished - congratulations, she looks great! It can be hard to know when a picture like this is finally done (and when to leave it alone), but I think you've got it right. The differences in the line values and techniques are still there, and the shapes, colour-weights and textures all work beautifully together. The subtle background rendering is the perfect finishing foil to the figure.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!, it was exciting to watch the progress as you painted.

10:52 AM  
Blogger A COLLAGE A DAY said...

Very Nice!!

r.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

funny poem and she turned out great!!! it's been interesting watching her progress :)

2:35 PM  
Blogger Judy Scott said...

soooooo beautiful, Judy x

3:38 PM  
Blogger Sarah .B. Scott said...

I am so glad I checked in to see how this turned out! It looks wonderful! I love the rich colors!

I wanted to let you know I deleted Sarah's Scribbles. I did not have time to keep up with a personal blog. Well, some guy swooped in and took the domain to advertise car insurance! I did decide to set up a studio news blog with my latest paintings, website updates, etc. Not exactly a "blog" blog.

Good luck with the new school year too! The summer went by pretty fast!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

Oh Carla, She's beautiful, breath taking. You are such an inspiration! THanks for sharing your beautiful art!

1:52 AM  
Blogger Mise said...

Gorgeous painting illustrating a poem that made me smile.

4:13 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home