anonyrrie: Inspire Me Thursday - Paints

Friday, August 25, 2006

Inspire Me Thursday - Paints


I just did this painting yesterday for my pages in Daniel Davis' Journeys book, Engine. He asks each Journeys artist, "What is the 'Engine' that motivates you as an artist? What keeps you going? What drives you to create?"

I am driven by my need to create images that express and reflect the emotions my experiences and surroundings create within me. Whether art is in the form of words or pictures, it is an imageable translation of experience, sensation, perception, and emotion. Thus, I feel a certain kinship with the English Romantic poets, who, from the mid 18th century to the mid 19th century, derived much of their creative inspiration from Nature. Reacting against the precepts of order and control manifested in the dominance that science and industrialization had on humankind, the Romantics instead turned their outward gaze to Nature, and their inward eye to the spirit.

William Blake, considered to be the first great English Romantic poet, responded to the assualt of industrialization in the contrasting perceptions of society he depicted in his Songs of Innocence and Experience. He was followed by Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth, who moved beyond Edmund Burke's assertion that "terror is in all cases whatsoever . . . the ruling principle of the sublime," to depict Nature as a healing and spiritual force that could redeem the soul. The next generation of Romantic poets, George Gordon, Lord Byron; Percy Bysshe Shelley; and John Keats, continued the artistic process of finding one's individual poetic voice. Many of the ideas and ideals expressed by the English Romantics were later incorporated in the philosophies of the 19th century American Transcendentalists, notably Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau, and in turn have contributed to the more contemporary "back to nature" movements.

Our world today is filled with many things that leave us as individuals feeling impotentent and fearful. Although it has been noted that the harder times are, the more creative and innovative art becomes, many people feel crushed by the overwhelming predominance of negativity. I believe it's necessary step away, become more sensitive to ordinary experiences, and find one's personal sublime as snapshots of the myriad moments that comprise our daily lives. There is always some beauty everywhere...

It was one of those days when it's a minute away from snowing and there's this electricity in the air, you can almost hear it. And this bag was, like, dancing with me. Like a little kid begging me to play with it. For fifteen minutes. And that's the day I knew there was this entire life behind things... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever... it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in. - Ricky Fitts (Wes Bentley) in American Beauty

(acrylic on paper)

30 Comments:

Blogger Amy Zaleski said...

Carla, I love the new direction in which you're taking your art. Each painting is more spectacular than the last! In this painting, it's as if the purple color of the sky is radiating straight from that moon. One thing is for sure, I want to take a walk in this landscape and your last one! Also wonderful commentary citing the poets of yesteryear and their own fascination with the power of nature.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

I love this one too-have to admit I was staring at the meadow again though :)

I love the thickness (can't think of any other way to describe it) and lightness that is paired in these paintings such a soothing balance. I enjoy them tremendously.

Love to you

7:38 PM  
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

I want to go there, lay down, and take a nap. Beautiful work.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Gina Cuff said...

Such a lovely piece!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Mise said...

I just love the sky :-D

11:15 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

Lovely peice of art. Yes, our nation is the one driven with fear. Yes, that's how our government controls our lives. Times were always dangerous, its how fearful we've become? Just like Freddie Kruger(sp?) our fear is a (dream)killing machine, an illness of the spirit. I don't believe we could grow with this desease, it's just so unhealthy it makes the colors bleed. Kudo's for inspiring with your messages of peace, I'd like to see more strength there also!

2:35 AM  
Blogger steve said...

Beautigul piece Carla. The quote at the end from American Beauty has always been a favorite of mine too.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Geninne said...

Gorgeous piece Carla! Takes one's breath away :-)

8:53 PM  
Blogger tiffini elektra x said...

What beautiful thick grass and that sky is just fantastic. I agree with Amy I so want to be there!

2:53 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Your last three posts/illustrations are so different than the style you usually post. I love seeing this side of you: perhaps less controlled? More whimsical. And so gorgeous!

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work Carla, I love how you rendered the moon and the sky.

1:23 PM  
Blogger kj said...

there is safety in this place you've painted. the colors protect and illuminate. i could find my way there and just lie down and appreciate.

4:30 PM  
Blogger String said...

Lovely picture, very soft.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your colors are really lovely, particularly the blue of the mountain against the violet of the sky. I really love the textures you used in this, as well!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Ces Adorio said...

Oh I love your purple sky.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful painting...the sky is so luvley...in purple...luvley colors and textures...:-)so soothing

9:51 PM  
Blogger Suzie Q said...

Wow, what a wonderful teacher you must be... I love the painting, and the quote from American Beauty is my favourite moment from the film...so incredibly moving...
Thanks for the reminder! :)

6:53 AM  
Blogger Vintage Papers said...

this is just beautiful! awesome painting!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

great post carla...the sky is beautiful :)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is lovely Carla!!

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! Love the colors. I also enjoy reading your explanations about your work.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Ian T. said...

This is nicely composed - I particularly like that the plants at bottom are completely separated from the sky by the dark hill silhouette. Me, I create because I become horribly depressed if I don't - I know this from bitter experience.

11:34 PM  
Blogger isay said...

it has been a long time and i miss your site especailly all the things that you are writing and sharing with us-but most of all your paintings and drawings that goes with them really makes me glad. this painting is beautiful and calming. i also like the one you have done for match. i have to come back again and read on the previous entries you had. there's so much that i have missed.

have a nice day carla

5:50 AM  
Blogger Aku said...

i like it! nice colors.

8:08 AM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

what a beautiful and serene painting Carla! I love your writing and was astounded when you used this quote from Wes Bentley! The first time I saw this movie and he said those words I cried and cried as it was as if someone verbalized what I always felt in a movie no less. It is my favourite part of the whole film and it was that young beautiful man saying it with such intense feeling that gripped me with his passion. I'm so glad you felt it too!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Stunning, I love the way the sky color is reflected in the grasses and the moon is special!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

How enjoyable to see you in "colorist" mode. This is lovely... I've not been checking blogs for a while... it is exciting to see how busy you've been.

2:47 AM  
Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I love the colors and simplcity in this!! The feeling of simplicity, though the painting isn't simple. Mary :D

12:25 PM  
Blogger Heartful said...

This painting is poetry itself. Stunning.

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful painting!

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home