anonyrrie: Connect... Camouflage... Amused!

Monday, June 25, 2007

Connect... Camouflage... Amused!

Amused
8.5" x 6" ~ found objects assemblage

Although I alluded to eventually showing a finished shoe shrine as the "after" picture of the pile of stuff I posted last week, that's not the way it wanted to happen. I did come home from Michael deMeng's workshop with an almost-finished shoe, but I just wasn't loving the way it looked. The problem for me was the shoe - I really wasn't very successful making it look good. There were so many incredibly creative and beautiful finished pieces at the end of the day, but mine wasn't one of them. Even so, the workshop was a totally fun experience, and I learned a lot of cool techniques. In addition to being a uniquely talented and inspiring artist, Michael is also a gifted teacher... his directions and explanations are very clear and easy to follow, he has a silly sense of humor, and he's a super nice guy. If you ever have a chance to take a class with him, don't hesitate! I'll post some pictures soon...

Anyway.... the next day I disassembled the shoe and started from scratch with the idea that I would simply follow my muse wherever she chose to lead me. I used several of the found objects I originally had on the shoe along with some other bits and pieces unearthed from my many boxes of junque. After playing around with this and that, I came up with a concept I liked and just went with it. I connected the parts with wire and liquid nails and epoxy, and then camouflaged all the various elements - some metal, some plastic, some fabric - with layers of paint to make it look old and grungy. I'm really happy with the way she turned out... in fact, I think she is an incarnation of my muse! All in all, it was a fine weekend!

32 Comments:

Blogger valerie walsh said...

Incredibly beautiful!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Tina Poe said...

Beautiful and lovely.

9:06 PM  
Blogger JO said...

Great piece it's beautiful.

10:08 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I dig anything that makes me look twice. I keep looking at this one!

10:16 PM  
Blogger studio lolo said...

Oh Carla, she's wonderful!!

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good work.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

This is a terrific piece ... it also makes me think of the hood ornament on my pop's old edsel! :D

8:04 AM  
Blogger Diane Duda said...

You should be happy! It's amazing!!!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I love it!!

8:59 AM  
Blogger tiffini elektra x said...

Oh what a magical piece! I love what you came up with. Michael is so Rad - and a fabulous teacher. I so agree!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Angela Wales Rockett said...

I love it, Carla! How fun!

12:25 PM  
Blogger ° said...

if i get this right i, this was a shoe u werent happy with from a class u took with this guy, right, or am i that slow in understanding wht u wrote, could be. anyways shoe or not i love the final result here.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is AMAZING!!!
I love your muse.
sherrie

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your muse is a beautiful fairy goddess, you have reason to be pleased !!

3:32 PM  
Blogger megan said...

don't know which i like more...this very cool piece...or the writing you did about it. classes and workshops are great for learning new techniques or materials (as you said), but, for me, working alone is the only way i can hear my own incoming messages. thanks for this post!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful and inspiring.

8:33 AM  
Blogger kj said...

carla, this is AWESOME!!!

like andrea, i've gone back and looked at it more than once. are those door hinges, iask myself? what else do i see? it makes me want to know what you did step-by-step!!

i hope you do more of this medium!!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Ellen Byrne said...

This is AWEsome! I just love it!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

this looks amazing and even better that its made from reclaimed materials!

4:14 AM  
Blogger Patricia J. Mosca said...

MAGIC...JUST PURE MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

LOVE it. more please!?

10:37 PM  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

Always good to find your muse. Very cool!!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Ces Adorio said...

This looks like a gem from an antique store. A most satisfying feeling for one to create something while having fun.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Oooh, I like this! Though you've left me wondering about the unhappy shoe incarnation. *G*

2:08 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Carla, we have connected through blogs in the past and evidently were in the same room for Michael's shoe workshop!! Too bad we didn't put the pieces together...such a big class. I really admire your work and would love to have a chance to talk more about balancing being a teacher and an artist. I just finished my first year teaching and boy am I tired! I am told it gets better and I am hoping that is true. Love your muse! wonderful reincarnation...
Take care, Jess

12:13 AM  
Blogger Susan Tuttle said...

This is such a special piece that you have created Carla!!--definitely your muse--she is gorgeous!!

I wish I could have attended Michael's workshop with you--we'll have to plan something for another time.

Susan
xo

12:28 AM  
Blogger Kay Aker said...

Gorgeous assemblage! I would like to give you the Thinking Blogger award for your always thought provokiking and inspiring posts. You can nab it from my site and if you want pick 5 others.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Heartful said...

She's beautiful!!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Ro Bruhn said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed Michael's class Carla, he really is a great teacher. I absolutely love what you've created, the colour is just fabulous.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Naj said...

Please forgive my ignorance. What is a shoe shrine?

4:07 PM  
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

Groovie- I have to admit the ears are my favorite

7:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is beautiful!! Very unique too.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home