anonyrrie: Tabula Rasa

Monday, July 23, 2007

Tabula Rasa

I Don't Know Yet
36" x 48" x 1" ~ acrylic/mixed media on wood panel

I won't have much to show here for a while. This week I will be working on my painting for Susan's book, and that will be top secret... no sneak peeks! Then I'll start my big painting, which will be one of five (the other four will be smaller) I'm doing for a show in November at The Insiders/Outsiders Gallery. It will be based on a drawing I did a while back. I'm really excited to see it rendered in paint on such a large surface, but I am a bit nervous about the size. This is the largest I've painted since college!

Anyway, in the meantime, I thought it would be fun to show some of the pictures I took of Jol making this magnificent cradled birch panel for me. Although it is a pretty simple undertaking compared to making the amazing guitars he designs, I am so delighted with my tabula rasa... my painting is off to a great start before even being touched by a brush!

Jol started by cutting four 8' pieces of 1" x 2" poplar into mitered-edged sections for the frame and supports. He did this in his shop at home, and then we took the pieces to his guitar shop to assemble the panel using the equipment he has there. After glueing and stapling the frame and back support together, he cut the 1/8" thick birch plywood panel to size and glued it to the frame.

Then, the whole thing went into the Membrano, a vacuum press table with a thick membrane cover that, when closed, suctions airtight to the object inside to work as a clamp while the glue dries.

In it goes!

We left the panel in the Membrano overnight, and then came back the next day to trim it and sand it.

trimming the edges on the table saw (above)
before sanding the back, front and sides (below)






Jol's meticulous attention to detail

It turned out beautifully! The top, sides, and back are perfectly clean and smooth, and the panel itself is strong and well supported. I have not been able to find pre-made wood panels larger than 18" x 24", so I am so appreciative that Jol is able and willing to make these larger pieces for me. It's things like this that are among the myriad reasons I love him so much!

11 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Nice work, Jol. It's really hard to get great cradled panels that size without a bit or warp, but it looks like he did it. I bet it's heavy.

4:08 PM  
Blogger carla said...

Andrea - it's really not too heavy! The birch is only 1/8" thick, and the poplar isn't a super heavy wood. It's perfect:>

4:13 PM  
Blogger kj said...

i recognize that good looking man, carla! how interesting to see how this panel is made.

it all sounds quite exciting.....

:)

11:14 PM  
Blogger Mick said...

Hmmm, did I hear someone say "vacuum"? :O

7:45 AM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

awww how wonderful! How exciting for you to approach this size and space. Scary equals exciting to me and once you get going i'm sure it will flow. Have fun Carla!

2:30 AM  
Blogger Ginger*:) said...

The paintings you create surely deserve such a surface. The process shows the care and love that you have for each work of art. Gosh, the painting surface is a work of art in itself.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Susan Tuttle said...

Oooo--I can't wait to see it Carla!!!

Wow--the canvas that Jol is creating for you is spectacular!!!

Sounds like you are having a wonderful summer!

Susan
xox

4:55 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

What a wonderful man! :0)

I always liked that drawing, and would love to see the finished piece when this is done. I guess if I go to the gallery, I will. *G*

12:56 PM  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

very cool!! hi jol!
enjoy the process...

6:27 PM  
Blogger christina said...

I've never painted on wood. Would love to see a step-by-step of whatever piece of art you create on it... I don't know if you've ever done that here (I may have missed it) but I would love to see the steps in your creative process--esp. on a big surface such as this.

1:44 PM  
Blogger ottoblotto said...

How cool is that? I can't wait to see what you do.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home