anonyrrie: Weird Tag

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Weird Tag


little unfinished doodle in my new hand bound sketchbook

Okay...once again, I've been tagged...twice, in fact... by both Kathy and by Random York. It's the 6 weird things about me meme, and frankly, I'm stumped. I think I've spilled all the beans I want to spill in the many lists I've compiled in response to being tagged, and even though I am often called weird, I don't have a never-ending supply of odd behavior and quirks to share. Nonetheless, I will attempt to comply, mostly because my taggers are such fine, talented bloggers! What follows is a very random, sort of edited-stream-of-consciousness (which means it isn't really stream-of-consciousness) list of stuff that may or may not be weird.

I recently discovered that I have begun the shrinking-with-age process. I'm not pleased about this at all, especially since I have always taken pride in my lofty (physical) stature and excellent posture. So, I am going to continue to claim my previous height, in much the same spirit as some people insist on celebrtaing the same birthday year after year.

I keep the ashes of three cats in the same cabinet where I store the wine. This kind of freaks some people out, although I don't know why. They are in tightly-sealed tins!

I spend more money on art supplies and books than on clothes. I actually don't think this is weird. I'd much rather buy new paints and brushes, or books on fun stuff like Japanese tattoo art, than have a handbag that costs more than people pay for housing or groceries. I think that's weird!

I don't play cards, board games, watch American Idol, Oprah, Nascar, or the Super Bowl. And that's just the beginning. I can't even look at the meat and poultry sections in the grocery store. All I see are dead naked animals. I also feel sorry for the lobsters in the tank at the fish counter. At the checkout, I create entire lives for people based on what they put on the belt. By the way, this is a great fiction writing exercise... go to the Grocery List Collection, find an interesting list, and then create characters and a scene around it. That's the kind of stuff I do for fun!

Let's see... did I ever write about eating ants to impress my fellow campers at day camp (it didn't work), going to tea at the Plaza in bizarre, vintage costumes (a somewhat regular pasttime my friends and I had when I went to college in NYC ages ago), or believing I could hurt the feelings of my dolls if I thought bad things about them (that was either garden variety projection or the beginnings of my delusions of grandeur)? I guess I could go on and on, but none of this is really weird. I do think, though, that I've gotten more than six things down, so I'm going to stick a fork in it and call it done. There. Done! OUCH!

FInally, I'm going to change the rules of this game to allow for self-tagging! Tag thyself and let me know. Share the weirdness!

20 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

That was fun. I've sworn off blogs for the short term but couldn't resist reading this one, Nosey Nate that I am.

1. God how I wish this was happening to me! It is happening to my husband, though, who used to be the same height as me. I have 1.5" on him now!

2. OK -- that smacks of Weird Cat Lady I'm afraid, Carla, but we love you all the more for it!

3. Well, *yeah*.

4. Like you, I do not partake in any of those activities with one notable exception: board games. It only happens a couple of times a year but I *love* Monopoly and Scrabble. I do eat meat, though, shamefully, but I'm also one of those snotty women who have a superiority complex at the checkout counter when I look in other peoples' carts. Doesn't anybody cook from scratch anymore?

As for the rest, hold the ants and the dolls (they freak me out), but I wish I'd done the vintage costumes with friends thing. In another life maybe. Or maybe this one, when I come and visit you!! :)

You're weird, Carla. Must be why I like you.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

That cat thing is cool- it would make a great conversation piece. I spend much more money on my hobbies than clothes- but then again, I'm male.

BTW you're drawing is too cool to be believed.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Robert McLaughlin said...

Hi Carla,

I really can't think of anything about myself that would remotely interest anyone. But at least I'll share that I've begun shrinking also.

I love your beautiful and intricate drawing.

Ciao,
Robert

11:21 PM  
Blogger isay said...

another lovely image carla1

well, i also spend money for art supplies than buying an expensive handbag or clothes and i don't play cards, too.

ants? what's the taste?

i have enjoyed reading your post-it rhymes.

2:59 AM  
Blogger carla said...

Melba - I have one more week of classes and then vacation. I can't wait! I'm going to blissfully paint the days away, stopping only to tend the stove and answer nature's call. Sounds romantic, doesn't it?

Andrea - I didn't mention that I have often thought I would have my dearest kitty Jezebel stuffed when she dies. The keyword here is thought, because I do realize that once cold and stuffed, the cuddle/friendly interaction factor would be extremely diminished:> I can totally picture you sizing up the contents of other people's carts, and as for the meat thing...I know all about you! I received that beautiful painting packed in a sirloin burger box (which I'm saving in case I have something that size I need to send)! Now, about the costumes... you better come visit me soon, because if we wait any longer to go out in public dressed in csotume, people will just think we're old ladies with bad fashion sense. Hurry!

Tony - what hobbies do you have?

Robert - I'll bet you have at least two things that are quirky, among all the other things that are interesting!

Isay - ants taste gritty, and their innards are squishy. They really are gross, and I'm ashamed that I stooped to actually eat one. I guess it was only one, although I said ants. I was just desperate to impress of group of kids who thought they were really cool, but since I've never been cool, I picked the most uncool thing to do... and that's made all the difference (thank you, Robert Frost:>)

5:39 AM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Love the "doodle." and weird list. I am exactly with you on a low clothing budget, though I probably spend more on books than art supplies. (I trust my brain and feed it, but my 'talent'? Not so much.
And if you are ever behind me in the grocery line... keep your character study to yourself, OK? I'm working on it. =)

1:35 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

lovely and very detailed, bravo carla!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

Carla - as always your work is so beautiful!! Hum, weird things - everything you wrote sounds really normal to me! :) I arrived in Chicago last Thursday and saw the "Go Bears" signs and thought - isn't football over? Then I didn't know who the Colts were - I as in Indiana at that point. My Mom watched the game and the only thing I watched was Prince at half time...gotta love Prince! The American Idiol COMMERCIALS annoy me - why would I ever watch it? I told my husband when I die to stuff my ashes in his favorite wine bottle - what's wrong with cat ashes in the wine cabinet? More money on art supplies than supplies - absolutely! In fact I spend more money on my horse's clothes than mine... Come to think about it - I think WE are normal and everyone else is weird :) AND I am honored that I made you laugh today - that is my ultimate goal in life and when I succeed I'm absolutely delighted! Thank you for making MY day!

5:58 PM  
Blogger trowbridge chronicles said...

I always enjoy your intricate line work, Carla. Oh, I noticed that you haven't yet visited the Pacific Northwest. If you ever come, I can give you great travel tips. I've helped a lot of people with their vacations in the Northwest since I was born and raised here, plus I've mapped most of Washington and Oregon through my cartoon map company, FunMapsUSA.com.

1:51 AM  
Blogger kj said...

carla, so now it's obvious that you're an excellent writer as well as painter/artist. i enjoyed every word. i was especially comforted by how you spend your money: i'm the same way--i'm loving those book and art and garden supply stores more than anything else.

catch you later!

:)

10:35 AM  
Blogger Jannie aka Chickengirl said...

wow...that is a doodle!?! Very lovely.

Ever since I became a freelance illustrator full time, I came to realize I too, buy more art supplies/books rather than clothes. Its a good thing. :-)

11:14 AM  
Blogger Natura said...

Great image!!

Can relate with the art supply buying. Have whole packages not used yet, suppose it's never enough :)

4:42 PM  
Blogger Sarah .B. Scott said...

I do not watch American Idol, Nascar, or the Super Bowl. Well, or any sport, or any of the reality tv shows. But, I do like board games. I like that they are tactile and old fashioned rather than computerized.

Love this illustration!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Kerstin Klein said...

doesn´t look unfinished at all.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was given some chocolate covered grasshoppers one time (I did not eat them!) I get the impression that the ants were not dipped....

6:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

WOW!! So many lovely new paintings in you blog!! love the portraits!!

10:25 AM  
Blogger dinahmow said...

So...where is your weird list? Seems to me anyone without a creative kick is the weirdo.
And I don't play cards either, but I bet you and I would be great at Supermarket Theatre Sports!

10:11 PM  
Blogger dinahmow said...

So...where is your weird list? Seems to me anyone without a creative kick is the weirdo.
And I don't play cards either, but I bet you and I would be great at Supermarket Theatre Sports!

10:11 PM  
Blogger scott said...

I can't see anything weird there either. I will always look up to you as if you are shrinking we are all going down.
sorry I haven't been around in such a long time but will try to be back soon
lots of love lovely
Scott

4:19 AM  
Blogger PennyBlue said...

That's not a doodle! Its a work of art!! FANTASTIC!!

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home