anonyrrie: Mushrooms

Monday, July 30, 2007

Mushrooms


Overnight, very
Whitely, discreetly,
Very quietly

Our toes, our noses
Take hold on the loam,
Acquire the air.

Nobody sees us,
Stops us, betrays us;
The small grains make room.

Soft fists insist on
Heaving the needles,
The leafy bedding,



Even the paving.
Our hammers, our rams,
Earless and eyeless,

Perfectly voiceless,
Widen the crannies,
Shoulder through holes. We

Diet on water,
On crumbs of shadow,
Bland-mannered, asking


Little or nothing.
So many of us!
So many of us!

We are shelves, we are
Tables, we are meek,
We are edible,

Nudgers and shovers
In spite of ourselves.
Our kind multiplies:

We shall by morning
Inherit the earth.
Our foot's in the door.




Sylvia Plath (1932 - 1963)

9 Comments:

Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

The top one looks like a worried old couple, bent over, checking to see who's behind them.

11:12 PM  
Blogger carla said...

Tony - I didn't see the faces until I got the photo on my screen! They do look very wary of what might be around them.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

LOL @ what Tony had to say and I see that too. The 'shroom on the right seems to be sporting a pair of glasses. :)

8:13 AM  
Blogger Susan Tuttle said...

Wonderful shrooms and poem!

I once went over to a fellow-teacher's house--mushroom collecting was her hobby. She made a mushroom pizza for all of us--I must admit I was a tad bit scared to eat it--just incase she had misjudged on her picking spree. I'm here to this day!!

Thank you for leaving that Robin William's quote over at my blog--that is one of my favorite movies!

Susan
xo

8:14 PM  
Blogger isay said...

i thought the top picture were aliens....

2:22 PM  
Blogger Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Fungi are cool!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

THese are super cool!

4:40 PM  
Blogger ian sands said...

Hi! I tagged you -
http://iansands.blogspot.com/2007/09/tag-im-it.html

4:45 PM  
Blogger Peggi Habets Studio said...

Beautiful poem! I love the line, "We shall by morning, inherit the earth."

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home